Monday, January 12, 2009

Of Nuts and Bolts

As the week goes on I have began to notice a few more issues with the brand new fifth wheel. it began one night when Sandy told me the lights had quit working. Well the lights that would not work run on a 12 volt system powered by two large batteries. These batteries are constantly charged by a converter when we are at a campground. Well it had quit working and the batteries were dead. Luckily I had brought a car and boat battery charger along with most of my tools, so I plugged the charger into the outlet and connected it to the batteries and we were up and running again.

While Sandy was working last night, I wanted to take care of another issue. I had noticed a small puddle of water next to the toilet. Being in an RV the bathroom is rather small, so I could not see any problems, but I know there must be something wrong. I took apart part of the toilet and found the factory had cross-threaded the water supply line on the toilet and that was the leak. 5 minutes later that leak was fixed. I went to put the tools back in the storage compartment, this time I took a flashlight out to help me. I opened the compartment and shown the light in and to my disbelief there was a quarter inch of water in the bottom. I then begin to unload every thing in the storage compartment, so I can remove a wall and crawl into the compartment and hopefully find the leak. In the area of the leak there happens to be no less than two dozen different sections of water lines all with fittings that could be leaking. I quickly found about six possible fitting and tightened them and mopped up most of the water. While I was inside the compartment I thought it would be wise to look at the malfunctioning converter and see if anything simple was causing the problems with the 12 volt system, NO. The next morning when Sandy came home we took the puppies out for their walk and I peek into the compartment and guess what, more water. I dried the area and had a couple drops hit my hand, so I knew where to look this time and found another leaking fitting. fixed it and so far, so well today. I am glad I am handy or this new home would be a big problem.

We are staying right across from a Vet, and our puppies need more shots this week. I walked over to make an appointment and to find out when we could bring them in to spaying and neutering. To my surprise they said tomorrow. So after tomorrow our little boy and girl will be a little less so.

No comments:

Post a Comment